1) How do you try to live a mindful life?
Being aware of my actions and the effects of my actions was not something I thought about until I started to do yoga. Until then I lived a very self-destructive, fast-paced and over-stimulated life. Yoga helps me live a more mindful existence. Meditation helps me slow down the churning of my mind.
2) What are you focused on in your teaching right now?
Simplicity and space.
3) If you could study under anyone for a year, who would it be, and why?
I don't subscribe to one guru, not even for just a year. There is so much to learn and from so many different perspectives and talented teachers.
4) What's your favorite book and why?
Yoga book: Light on Life by BKS Iyengar. It taught and continues to teach me what yoga is all about. Non-yoga book: Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger.
5) What inspires you?
Learning through all the senses.
6) How do you stay balanced? How do you unwind?
7) What's your favorite part of teaching yoga?
Speaking individually with students after class--hearing, seeing and connecting to their journey. I wish that all my public classes could be interactive.
Susannah teaches on Tuesday mornings (7am + 9:15am) and Thursday evenings (4:15pm + 5:45pm). View her class schedule here.